The Ultimate Guide to Removing Sweat Stains from Clothing
Sweat stains are something that everyone has to deal with in their laundry, even though some of us sweat more than others. When white clothing develops stains around the underarms, it’s natural to blame sweat.
However, this is only half true. The real source of these yellowish stains is a combination of minerals (mainly salt) in sweat and antiperspirant or deodorant chemicals (primarily aluminum). This combination causes yellow stains on white clothes and discolors colored clothing’s armpit areas.
At HomePlus professional house cleaning in Lowell, MA, we feel that life is too short to be ruined by sweat stains. We have prepared a guide that will help you banish sweat stains and foul odor from your clothing items for good.
Method For Removing Sweat Stains Out of White Shirts
White shirts are the most susceptible to yellow sweat stains. To get them out, follow these steps.
- Rinse the clothing in warm water to dilute the stain.
- Pre-treat the soiled areas using a paste of baking soda and either water or hydrogen peroxide or a mixture of your regular detergent and white vinegar.
- Leave the garment to sit for as little as 20 minutes or as long as overnight, depending on the intensity of the stains,
- Throw the garment in the laundry with other things without washing off the pre-treatment and wash with regular detergent. Wash in warm water if the care label allows it. Otherwise, use cold water.
- If the stain remains after these steps, repeat before drying the item.
Method For Getting Sweat Stains Out of Colored Shirts
When it comes to cleaning sweat stains and odors from colored shirts, the methods are generally the same as they are for white shirts. However, it is better to opt for water instead of hydrogen peroxide to protect the color.
- Rinse the colored shirt in warm water to dilute the stain.
- Use a 2:1 mixture of detergent and white vinegar to pre-treat the afflicted areas.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes. If the stain is severe, leave it overnight.
- Throw the garment in the laundry with other things without washing off the pre-treatment and wash with ordinary detergent. Wash in warm water if the care label allows it. Wash in cold water if not.
- If the stain remains, repeat the preceding instructions before putting the clothing in the dryer.
Getting The Smell of Sweat Out of Clothes
While body soils aren’t always visible on garments, they must be adequately cleaned with a high-quality detergent, or you’ll have odors that persist even after washing.
Here’s how to get rid of those lingering odors once they’ve taken hold.
- Make a soak solution using a half-dose of laundry detergent per gallon of warm water in a plastic bucket.
- Allow up to 30 minutes for the clothing to soak. Add a white cloth on top of the stained garment to the bucket to keep it submerged in the solution for further benefit.
- After that, wash the clothing in warm water with the appropriate dose of detergent, dependent on the size of the wash load.
- If the odor persists, repeat the process before drying.
Method for Collar and Cuff Stains
Stains on collars can be caused by makeup and sweat, face cream, sweatshirt, lotion, or other products you are using on that part of your skin. Like armpit stains, stains on collars or cuffs can be difficult to remove due to a combination of sweat, body oil, and daily soil. The secret to keeping collars clean is to remove oily spots after every time you wear the shirt.
Here is a simple stain treatment that should work.
- Start by rinsing the clothing in warm water to dilute the stain.
- Pre-treat stained areas with a spot treatment, such as laundry detergent or a specialized stain-removing spray.
- Press the stain remover into the fabric using a soft-bristled brush. Leave the stain remover on the garment for 20 minutes. If the stain is severe, let it stay overnight.
- Wash the garment as usual, using the specified amount of heavy-duty detergent and the maximum water temperature appropriate for the fabric.
- Inspect the garment before drying at high heat. If the stains persist, do not dry them. If necessary, repeat the treatment.
We offer professional house cleaning in Lowell, MA, and employ a cleaning staff that takes pride in providing top-quality service. After passing a background check, each team member is thoroughly trained on every stage of our detailed cleaning plan.
Book us now with a single click here!