How To Remove Wet Carpet Smell?
Have you ever stepped into a room with a wet carpet and just been hit with an overwhelming smell? Wet carpets can be a major cause of indoor air pollution and, if left untreated, can lead to the growth of mould and mildew.
Not only is it unpleasant, but it’s also potentially hazardous to your health. There is no need to worry; we have different ways to eliminate that wet carpet smell without replacing the entire floor.
In this article, we’ll explore how to remove the damp carpet smell so you can keep your home safe and odour-free.
Causes of Wet Carpet Smell
- One of the most common causes of wet carpet smell is spills that have not been properly cleaned up. Even if you think you’ve gotten all the liquid out, some residue may still be left in the padding or underneath the carpet that is causing the smell.
- Pet accidents can also cause wet carpet smells; if you don’tclean it up properly, it can cause a damp, musty smell. The same goes for human accidents – if someone spills something on the carpet and doesn’t clean it up well enough, it can start to smell over time.
- If your carpets are constantly getting wet due to rain, snow, or other weather conditions, that can also lead to a wet smell. In this case, it’s important to ensure the carpets are dried out as quickly as possible to prevent mould or mildew from growing, which will only worsen the problem.
- Sometimes, carpets just naturally absorb smells from their environment. If your home is generally musty or has strong smells like cigarette smoke or cooking odours, they can get trapped in the carpet’s fibers and be difficult to remove.
How To Remove Wet Carpet Smell
When your carpet gets wet, it can start to smell musty. This is especially true if the water is allowed to sit for a long time. If you’re dealing with a wet carpet smell, there are certain things you can do to remove it.
- First, try airing out the room as much as possible. Open windows and doors to let in the fresh air. If the weather is nice, you may even want to set up fans to help circulate the air.
- Next, you’ll want to clean the carpet itself. If it’s just lightly soiled, you can vacuum it with a regular vacuum cleaner. If the carpet is heavily soiled or smells bad, you may need to shampoo it with a rental machine or hire a professional carpet cleaner.
- Once the carpet is clean, you can try using a dehumidifier or humidifier to help control the moisture level in the air. This will help prevent musty smells from developing in the future.
Household Items To Get Rid of Carpet Smell
A few household items can help eliminate the odour if your carpets smell a little musty. Baking soda is often also known as a natural deodorizer and can be sprinkled on the carpet before vacuuming.
Vinegar is also effective at neutralizing odours, so you can try mixing equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and misting the carpet lightly. Let the solution dry completely before vacuuming it up. If you are short on time, you can contact HomePlus, which provides house cleaning services in Lincoln, MA.
Preventing Wet Carpet Smell
Wet carpet can start to smell musty and unpleasant within a day or two. The key to preventing wet carpet smell is to act quickly. Here are some tips for preventing wet carpet smell:
- The first thing you want to keep in mind is to remove the water from the affected area. Using a dry towel or cloth to soak up as much water as possible would be best.
- If the area is small, you should try to place any fan, such as a pedestal fan, dry out the carpet, and circulate the air to eliminate any smell.
- For larger areas, use a dehumidifier to help remove moisture from the air and speed up the drying process.
- Once the area is dry, make sure to ventilate the room well to prevent mould and mildew growth.
Hire Professional Cleaners
Wet carpet smell can be a tricky problem to solve, but thankfully there are some easy solutions. With our tips on how to remove the wet carpet smell, you should be able to get rid of that unpleasant odor and freshen up your home in no time.
Of course, it is possible that you do not have the time to clean up your carpets, especially if they tend to get wet very often. In that case, a professional cleaning service is your best bet.
HomePlus offers house cleaning services, including top-to-bottom and general house cleaning. So if you are busy somewhere else and have got no time for cleaning, worry not and book our professional cleaning services by clicking here.