How to Clean Office Equipment
As you sit at your desk, working on your computer and sipping from your coffee cup, you’re surrounded by thousands (maybe millions) of germs. In fact, the surfaces in and around your workplace are some of the most dangerous bacteria hotspots you’ll encounter. According to a survey conducted by job-search site Joblist, office items such as keyboards and desks can be breeding grounds for bacteria, yet these frequently touched surfaces are rarely cleaned.
Although it might be difficult to keep frequently touched desk objects like your keyboard, phone, and computer mouse fully germ-free, good cleaning habits can go a long way.
Start by washing your hands well and often to prevent the spread of germs, especially after using the restroom and before eating.
Then, perform these cleaning procedures for the following office equipment to keep them clean and sanitary.
1. Computer Mouse
While optical mice are less prone to accumulating dirt and bacteria than older mechanical mice, dirt and bacteria can still accumulate on their undersides and where the mouse comes into touch with your hand and fingers.
Follow these steps for cleaning your mouse.
- Place your mouse on a paper towel to catch any falling dirt.
- Then, use a toothpick or a folded sticky note to loosen any built-up grime between the buttons and the mouse’s body. Any remaining particles can be removed with compressed air.
- Gently cleanse the surface of the mouse with a disinfectant wipe or a cloth treated with an alcohol-based cleaning solution. Pay special attention to the left and right mouse buttons, where bacteria from fingers tend to gather.
2. Computer Screen and TV Monitors
Dirt, dust, and grease smudges can accumulate on your monitor over time, especially if you have a habit of touching it when pointing something out. Cleaning a computer screen takes more attention and care than cleaning other items on your desk.
Here are some steps for thoroughly cleaning your monitor without causing damage to its delicate components.
- Combine a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and distilled water in a spray bottle, and shake it vigorously.
- Turn the monitor off and disconnect any cords from the back.
- Next, pour the vinegar-water mixture onto a microfiber cloth and wipe the filth off the screen in small circles.
- Buff the screen in small circles with the dry side of the towel until it is dry and streak-free.
HomePlus offers office cleaning service in Billerica for business owners that care about presenting their office to visitors in the best possible shape. Knowing that you care about their environment will make your customers and staff feel at ease and secure.
All of those lunch breaks spent working at your desk can wear down your trusty keyboard. Not only does it make it dirty, but it can also impede its function.
Here is how you can thoroughly clean your keyboard.
- Unplug your keyboard if it’s wired, and turn it off if it’s wireless.
- Remove the key buttons with a flathead screwdriver or other suitable tool. Note that this method only works with mechanical keyboards, not those with rubberized keys or flat designs.
- Wash the keyboard keys with warm soapy water, then rinse and dry.
- While the keys are drying, blow out all the crumbs and hairs from the keyboard’s base with compressed air.
- Finally, replace the keys.
Follow these instructions to clean your business laptop thoroughly and then turn it off for a while.
- Clean the crags around the trackpad and mouse buttons with cotton buds, alcohol, and toothpicks.
- Clean the keyboard with compressed air, and ensure the keys are removed before attempting to pop them off!
- Cooling vents, speakers, charging connections, and USB ports can benefit from a nice blast of compressed air.
- Clean the screen with a microfibre cloth dampened in a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and distilled water, as you would for other computer screens.
Do your employees less willing to do cleaning activities at the office? If that is the case, you can hire professional house cleaners in Billerica, MA, which will cut most of the slack off your employees and allow them to focus on their jobs.
With multiple users and essential use cases, your workplace photocopiers and printers are some of the busiest shared equipment in the building. Since so many people come into contact with them throughout the day, it’s critical to clean them regularly.
Here’s what you need to do.
- Turn off the printer and unplug it.
- Remove the paper trays as well as any new copies.
- Use cotton buds and alcohol or a toothpick to clean the buttons’ crevices. Dust everything with a dry cloth.
- Examine the paper feeds for any dust or greasy deposits; wipe them away with a towel or use alcohol to dissolve the grease.
- It’s time to clean the scanning surface with your beloved vinegar solution — Be careful since it is glass! Buff in circles with a microfiber towel that has been pre-sprayed with your vinegar/water mixture.
- Allow the scanning surface to dry after buffing with a dry microfiber cloth for a streak-free shine.
- Finally, close the lid and use an antibacterial spray on a cleaning cloth to give the entire machine a once-over.
Hire Professional Cleaning Service
HomePlus office cleaning services in Billerica, MA, meet the highest industry standards and are backed by years of experience. You can trust us to keep your office facility clean, healthy, and safe.
Our house cleaners in Billerica are competent, trained, and committed to performing at their best.
For booking, click here!